You’ve installed your Smart Life plugs, and now, you want to use them with your Wi-Fi network. But you’re not sure how to connect them? You’re in the right place. This guide will help you make sure that you know how to connect Smart life plugs to a new WiFi and help you resolve any issues that may arise along the way.
Thus, if you have no idea what you should do and how you should connect the devices we are here to help. Below we have covered all the methods that you need to follow in order to achieve a stable connection.
How to connect Smart Life plugs to a new WiFi?
Connecting your smart life plugs to a new WiFi is a pretty simple 5 steps process. All you need to do is:
- Install the application and login into it.
- Plug in the Smart life plug.
- Using the Smart life app, connect to the WiFi.
- Plug in your devices.
- Test your devices.
Continue reading if you want to know in detail how you can connect smart life plugs to a new WiFi, without any issue.
1. Install the Smart Life application
The first two things that you need to do is get the smart life plugs and set up a new WiFi in your house. Once you have done both of these things, you should download the Smart Life application on your smartphone or tablet so that you can proceed further.
You can efficiently find this application on both the app and play store. Thus, no matter if you are an Apple user or an Android one, you can use this app without an issue. Now log into the app or create a new account if you are a new user so that you can keep a track of all your Smart life devices in the future.
One thing that you should keep in mind before buying the smart life plug is compatibility. Check that your smartphone and the apps that you want to connect to the smart life plug are both compatible. So that you don’t come across any issues once you have installed all the devices.
2. Plug in the Smart Life plug
Now you need to use the smart life plug that you bought. Open it up and plug it in where you find it suitable. Then look for any indicator lights to appear. However, if you want to know more about the indicator lights, go through the instruction manual that it comes with to know more about the connectivity of the device. Once you see the light, go to the smart life application on your phone and connect the device to your new WiFi connection.
3. Using the Smart Life app connect to the WiFi
Connecting your smart life plug to a WiFi is pretty simple through the app. Open your application, and on the home page, you will see the device name. From there, choose your device name and enter your WiFi password. Plus, keep in mind to connect your device at the WiFi frequency of 2.5GHz instead of 5GHz as it is more suitable for it. Now that you have entered your WiFi password, you have successfully connected your smart life plugs to a new WiFi connection without an issue.
4. Plug in your devices
Once the plugs and the WiFi have a solid connection, you can now plug in all the appliances that you want to plug in. You can connect anything from a light to a monitor to the smart life plug. It depends on you, on which device you want to control more thoroughly through your smart device.
5. Test your devices
Once everything is in place start exploring the smart life application. Using these plugs, you can efficiently control the power supply to the connected appliances. Thus, start using the main features of these plugs through the app and check for any issues. And there you go, you are now good to go to use the smart life plugs in your house.
How do I change the network on my Smart Plug?
For best results, we recommend resetting your home’s Wi-Fi before starting the setup process. This will provide you with the clearest connection between your smart life plugs and your WiFi.
It’s easy! Just follow these steps:
- Open the Home app and select Devices at the bottom of the screen.
- Find your Smart Plug in the list and tap on it. This will open the device detail page with some basic information about your plug, including its status (off/on) and what network it is currently connected to. You can tap this button if you would like to change or view more information about the current network your plug is using.
- The last step is to find a new Wi-Fi network that you want your plug to connect to by tapping on Add New Network at the top of the screen.
- A prompt will appear asking for the name of the network, so just enter the name of your desired Wi-fi network and then enter any password required for accessing that network.
- Then, just press Done and wait for a moment while your plug searches for available networks to join.
- Finally, when you see a checkmark next to Wi-Fi on your device detail page, then congratulations! Your plug has successfully joined your desired Wi-fi network!
How do I reset the Wi-Fi on my smart life?
To reset your Wi-fi on your smart life, you need to follow the following steps:
- Use your phone or laptop to navigate to settings on your smart life app and select Wi-Fi. Find my home under the network tab. Then touch it for more information about connecting devices.
- Select forget this network, enter in what you know about its password (the one you chose when setting up) and choose if it is shared or not.
- Then restart your router by unplugging it from power for 30 seconds and plugging back in. When you have successfully restored your router, wait 10 minutes before trying to reconnect any of your smart life plugs.
What to do when having trouble connecting Smart Life plugs to new WiFi?
Not a lot of people come across this issue. However, here are three things you can try if you’re having trouble connecting your Smart Life plugs to a new WiFi:
- First, make sure that your Smart Plug is not plugged into an outlet that the old network controls.
- Then, reset the Wi-Fi on your plug and check to see if it can find and connect with your new network.
- Finally, change the Network name (SSID) and Security Type (WPA2PSK, WPA2WPA, or Open) in the App settings for each of your Smart Plugs by tapping Edit at the top of the page and entering your information.
When done, tap Save Settings at the bottom of the screen. You should now be able to connect your smart life plugs to your new Wi-Fi.
How to reset your Smart life plugs?
In order to reset your WiFi network settings, please ensure that the plug is plugged in and is turned ON. Once this has been done, press and holds the power button until all 4 LEDs blink alternately. Please be aware that this process will cause you to lose any data stored on the plug if you have not synced it with a device or downloaded it via an app.
If you are happy with the factory default settings for this plug, then no action is required from you. And it will take up to 30 seconds for these changes to come into effect. However, if you would like to set a different SSID and password or other advanced features of the plug. Then you can use an app online, which you can find on Android and iOS.
How to change the network on your Smart plug?
The instructions below will guide you through how to reset the Wi-fi on your smart life and how to change the network on your Smart Plug.
- In the Alexa app, tap Settings → Smart Home → Update Network.
- Select the device you want to add or remove from your network.
- Follow any prompts that appear on the screen.
- Once complete, restart the device by unplugging it from power for 10 seconds before re-plugging it back in.
- Repeat these steps for each of your devices until you have updated all of them with their new Wi-Fi settings!
How to pair your plug using Alexa?
As soon as you’re ready to pair your plug, ask Alexa: Alexa, find my devices. Your smart plugs will appear on the list of Alexa devices, and you can select the one you want. Next, tell Alexa what to name your device – for example Living Room Fan.
Then, say Alexa, tell the Living Room Fan to turn off. If the plug has not been added to your profile yet and is on the same network as you are, it will turn off. If you have already connected it to your profile or if the plug is not on the same network as you are, then there may be another way to control it. Or if your Smart Plug has already been paired with another Alexa device such as Echo Dot or Echo Show but was disconnected from that account, then follow these steps:
- Press and hold down the button on top of the Smart Plug until it turns orange
- Make sure that any other Alexa devices which had paired with this plug before are no longer in range (you can also switch them off temporarily)
- Once all other voice assistant devices have left range, press and hold down the button again until it turns green again.
There are many reasons for switching from one network to another: you may be moving and need an internet connection in your new home, or you may have had some suspicious activity from strangers on your network. There are some simple ways through which you can connect your smart life plugs to a new WiFi, and we have reviewed all of the above. Follow the steps, and you will be able to set up your plugin in no time.